The aim of the B.A. German and English for Business and Communication is to qualify language professionals who are able to work in a variety of positions, both in companies and in cultural or educational institutions.
Students will obtain fluency in German, and they will refine their English skills on a high level, applying both languages in practical contexts, with a special focus on job-related skills.
Furthermore, students of this program will become experts of the cultural context of these languages, able to adapt to and move between different cultures with ease. Apart from these practical abilities, students of the B.A. German and English for Business and Communication will obtain research skills for both academic and socio-cultural fields.
Since the focus of the program is on its professional application, insights into future working fields will be offered at an early stage. A stay in Germany, with an academic semester at a partner university and an internship in the area of business and communication, is part of the program. Learning Outcomes Graduates of the B.A. German and English for Business and Communication will be able to
- use German and English confidently in a variety of business and cultural contexts. They will have competencies in German in all four areas (reading, listening, speaking, and writing) on an advanced B2 level. They will be able to use English professionally in text production and oral communication, particularly in business contexts;
- use language in creative, innovative, and critical ways;
- understand, analyze and produce a range of text types in English, German, as well as in Arabic, the latter being especially important for their job perspectives in the Arab world;
- make appropriate use of new information technologies and tools, particularly in the combination of texts and images;
- use different academic and linguistic resources and references properly (dictionaries, the library, various digital applications for the study and production of language);
- communicate appropriately within their own culture as well as between different cultures;
- take on responsibility and work both independently and in teams;
- adapt quickly to new tasks and new fields;
- conduct research on specific questions from the areas of culture, society, and business;
- interpret the role of Jordanian and German politics and culture in a global context;
- work on both the national and international level;
- work in business fields that are particularly interesting for language experts, such as marketing, human resources, and logistics;
- adapt easily and independently to new contexts of work, as they will do an internship in Germany.
Employment and Career Prospects The B.A. program in German and English for Business and Communication qualifies graduates for various fields of work in national and international companies. Beside the professional perspective, there is also the possibility for graduates to continue their studies in an M.A. program at German Jordanian University – for instance, the M.A. program in German as a Foreign Language – or at another university. These are the areas that graduates of German and English for Business and Communication will be qualified for:
- journalism: work in distinguished media fields: newspapers, radio, television;
- cultural work: in theaters, museums, and tourism;
- editorial work: publishing houses, libraries, and book-stores;
- various business fields: management, advertising, marketing, human resources, and logistics;
- education: work as a teacher of German and/or English; this perspective is particularly interesting for students who continue their studies at GJU in the M.A. program in German as a Foreign Language;
- any area that requires language and cultural experts who can translate, negotiate, and mediate in creative ways between different cultural contexts; this is particularly valid for companies which cooperate with the German and English speaking world. The job market for students of the humanities underlies unforeseen and permanent changes. Because of this, practical training on the job is particularly important for students of the B.A. German and English for Business and Communication. Our practice-oriented classes, as well as the mandatory internship in Germany, give students a distinguished insight into future fields of work and provide them with the skills to adapt to various professional contexts.