Can foreign Arab GJU students apply for a visa to Germany in their home country? 

No, they should not. The German Embassy in Amman is legally the only embassy responsible for GJU students.

Do I as a foreign Arab student have to get my high school certificate certified in my home country? 

No, you do not. Just make sure you have an English or German translation of it.

Do students who have German passport, go through the same procedures like other students do before moving to Germany?

Students with a German passport do not have to open a deposit account neither do they need a visa. Nevertheless they have to fulfill all academic prerequisites for the German Year and apply for the host university with the IO.

Can I renew or extend my visa once I arrived in Germany? 

If you have a financial proof and a purpose of stay you should be able to extend your visa. For further questions please turn to your local Auslaenderbehoerde in Germany. 

Can I transfer more than the requested deposit amount to my bank account at the Deutsche Bank?

Yes you can. Every EURO that exceeds the required deposit amount may be spent freely.

Do I really have to pay the (at maximum) 500 EUR organizational fees at the German partner university?
Some agreements between the GJU and its partner universities include a fee of up to 500 EUR that the host university may collect from GJU students. Not all partner universities charge these extra organizational fees, though. 

How much money am I supposed to take with me for the first month in Germany?

You should have an amount of money around 1000 euro for the first month, because it might take long time (around 2 weeks) for you to be able to use the bank account. There are also agreements between the GJU and its partner universities including an extra organizational fee of (up to) 500 EUR that the host university may collect from GJU students. Not all partner universities charge these extra organizational fees, though. 

What amount of money will I need per month?

This depends very much both on your personal spending habits as well as the region you're living in. If you do not have any other than the basic expenses (rent, food, transportation, communication and some entertainment) then 600 euros per month should be enough. The GJU's International Office always names the minimum amount that has to be transferred to the deposit account. Currently it is 670 EUR/month. For living expenses in Germany, please also check out our Costs of German Year page

If I haven't spent the whole 670 Euro in a month, can I spend the rest in the next month?

If you did not spend the whole 670 EUR in one month, you may spend it during the next month.

How much are the transportation costs? Which are the must practical and cheap?

There are many ways to travel inside Germany and Europe. 
Some universities offer a so called "semester ticket", with which a student can use the public transportation inside the same city or region, or maybe the same Bundesland of the university for free. Most of the times the semester ticket fees are included in the enrollment/registration fees.
In most cities, you will find one of the following means of public transportation: Tram (Straßenbahn), buses and trains (Deutsche Bahn). You should also look out for opportunities to share a car with friends on e.g. the way to and back from your university.
Other than this you should be aware of the recently established network of intercity buses ("Fernbusse"). Simply select your city of departure, your destination and the day on which you want to travel, and you'll be shown a list of possible connections.
Still, if you really like it the healthy way and have enjoy exercising, why not go by bicycle?!

May I choose any university I like in Germany?

In cooperation with your GJU Exchange Coordinator, you will choose your preferred German host university among GJU’s partner universities, depending on the number of available seats offered. The distribution to host universities will be according to your GPA.
Can I contact a university that isn’t a partner of the GJU if I wanted to enroll at that particular university?

Please do not contact any other non-partner university in Germany in order to enroll or apply for a seat.

Can I stay with a host family instead of moving into a dormitory?

If you are interested in staying with a host family, you should contact the International Office of your host university. However, not all universities offer help concerning this type of accomodation. The GJU's IO will only help you with dormitory applications.

 What exactly is a Wohngemeinschaft (WG or Studentenwohngemeinschaft)? 

A WG is a community of students sharing the same flat. Mainly 3 to 6 students share one flat. The IO very much recommends this very common way of living as it will expose you to a maximum to other students and nationalities. Keep in mind that there are no maids in Germany, so every member of the WG get her/his share of cleaning the living room, bath and kitchen on a regular basis.

What exactly is a Wohnheim?

A Wohnheim is generally a multi floor building where students live and run by the local Studentenwerk. The number of students living in each dormitory flat is 2 to 15 people. All share the kitchen, the bath and other facilities offered by the apartment. But each student has a private room that sometimes comes with a private bath. It is not common for a German student to live alone or in a single apartment (hence the offer mostly very limited). 
Your IO strongly recommends you to move into an apartment offered by your host university (Studentenwerk), so you will be near your university and be able to share student life with other students. Private housing is difficult to find and flats very seldom come with furniture.
Is it possible to live with relatives in Germany instead of student accommodation?
Of course, especially if they are living near to the university. This way, you can save the dormitory expenses. But for the visa procedures, the IO and the German embassy will require a confirmation of your relative that she/he is ready to host you for the specified period and it has to be proven that he/she is also able to do that financially and in terms of the space of her/his apartment / house available for each dweller in the house.
Will the university help me if I couldn’t get accommodation near my university in Germany?
If you apply for the dorms early at the time specified, then there is a relatively low possibility of not receiving an accommodation offer from your host university. Of course the IO GJU will be ready to help those students with a compelling reason for not being able to get an accommodation.
Is it my choice to choose our partners in the accommodations, or is every one getting his own room?

You should write on your housing application if you want to share a dorm with a specific person.

If any problem with the dorm occurs, who is responsible? 

Almost all dorms are run by the local Studentenwerk. There is a contact person for each dormitory, whose contact information should be available to you. You may also always turn to the IO of your host university.

Can I search for another option/ dorm after I arrived in Germany?

If you would like to have another accommodation, you must inform the IO of your university.  According to your rental contract you may change the dorm within a month or two. You may find alternative accommodation offers online. Always keep in mind that affordable accommodation in Germany is almost always very hard to find.

Should I/Can I apply for the visa at the German embassy myself?

No, please do not apply for a visa for the German Year on your own. The International Office will help you with the application process and arranges the necessary appointments at the embassy.

How can I be sure to get a dorm before I travel to Germany?

You have to apply for the dorm with your application to the host university. If for any reason your host university cannot supply you with a dorm offer, you should closely work on this issue with the IO GJU. 

Where can we stay if we want to arrive two weeks before the dorms open?

Your should definitely contact the IO of your host university in such a case. The cheapest places to stay are Youth Hostels. You will find them in almost every city

If I got sick, or an accident occurs, where should I go and am I covered by insurance?

In case of emergency call 112. If you get sick, then you can visit most every doctor. They are almost all covered by your German insurance company. You will have to register with a German health insurance upon arrival at your place of stay. For the time between your arrival and the enrollment with a German health insurance you should sign 
up for travel insurance prior to your departure to Germany. 
Do I have to make another health insurance, when we have an international one?
Yes you do. As a student in Germany you are required to be covered by a German insurance throughout the whole year in Germany. A German insurance will not require you to pay for health treatment unlike the international one which will require paying on the spot and then compensates only later on.

Are we going to take similar courses of what we’ve taken at GJU?

The courses provided at your host university will be related to your field of study, and there is a good possibility that they will be very similar to courses you have in your study plan at the GJU. A detailed learning agreement will be signed by your Exchange Coordinator at GJU and the Head of the International Office. This agreement will then be submitted to your host university, along with your application documents.

Is it true that universities in the west of Germany provide better education than universities in the east? 

False. All universities in Germany are run by the respective federal state and are very well equipped. Tutors are skilled and provide the same level of teaching every where. Actually some of the most famous German universities are located in East Germany with an excellent reputation throughout Europe and around the world. Generally German universities do not excel as whole institution but more specifically on a selection of certain fields of study. 

Do I have to pay more, if I decide to have extra credit hours in Germany? 

No, you do not have to pay any tuition fees to the host university. For changes to your learning agreement you should consult your Exchange Officer at GJU and your Contact Professor at the host university. 

If I have one subject left to graduate, can I take that subject in Germany instead of coming back for 1 semester? 

This depends to a large degree on the study program you are taking at GJU. You should always consult your  GJU Exchange Coordinator in such cases. 

Does the German way of teaching and studying differ a lot from the kind of American way at the GJU? 

Yes, it does. In Germany, the greater load of studying is on the student himself. The student needs to be very self disciplined, self organized and highly independent. Memorization is not being asked much, but creative approaches to questions are highly valued. German students do a lot of reading, having to research the resources mostly by themselves.

At a Fachhochschule a great part of the study process is via hand on experiment and laboratory assignments. Also at the end of the term there is only one final exam for each course. It is not common to have mid term exams or quizzes, so your final grade depends solely on the final exam. In general nobody takes your attendance and it is entirely your own responsibility to benefit from your study term or not.

Can I do an independent German language course in Germany prior to my German Year?
Yes, you can. You will have to provide an invitation by the language institute in order to apply for a visa for more than one year. Important: Any language course has to come with at least 22 hours per week to be relevant for the visa application (only intensive courses are permitted).
Before we begin with our courses, are we taking a German course at the host university to strengthen our language?
Many universities offer introductory seminars and lectures for exchange students. Sometimes there is a language course for one or two weeks for exchange students (within the Orientierungswoche) before the beginning of the semester. Sometimes language courses are offered to accompany your studies. Also some universities offer language courses related to the field of study during the semester. Some universities might even have a compulsory language course for all foreign students.

Can I do an internship in Germany independently of my fourth year in Germany?

Yes, you can, but you have to provide an internship contract from the internship company for the visa application. The contract has to state that the internship will pay enough to cover your living expenses in Germany (at least 660 EUR per month). 

What would happen, if I couldn't find an internship?

You have to start apply two weeks after arrival in German. You may always ask for help with the OIL GJU, the GJU Project Office at HS Magdeburg and possibly also from your host university (Praktikumsamt or Praktikumsbeauftragter..). 
Am I allowed to carry in my luggage herbs, oil, meat or Jameed?
You may well take any quantity of food in your luggage, but make sure you do not carry any liquids in your hand luggage

Will there be anybody to pick me at the airport in Germany, once I arrived?

That depends on your host university, if it provides a pick up service; you’ll be informed along with the acceptance letter.