The MA programme offers a theoretical foundation in linguistics, methods and methodology, scientific and research work, technical language communication, literature, cultural studies, and combines it with a strong practical approach.
The practical emphasis is possible and guaranteed through a network of cooperative partners. Students are able to train-on-the-job within the GJU at the Language Centre and in the Bachelor study programmes of the university. External partners are the Goethe Institute Amman, University of Jordan, Language Generation Centre, and Ali Baba Institute. These internships encourage students to develop their on-the-job-skills and gain an insight into possible future areas of employment.
At the end of the program, the graduates will be able to:
- Program graduates will be able to reflect and identify aims and methods of the study field German as a Foreign Language as well as DaF-related scientific fields (e.g. linguistics, culture studies, media methodology).
- They will possess a solid and profound knowledge of German cultural studies and German-speaking countries and will be able to illustrate and teach their knowledge to students and pupils of German language in the Near and Middle East and Northern Africa.
- They will be able to recognize, understand, interpret, explain and analyse various teaching and learning problems.
- They will be able to explain and teach German language and culture and convey their knowledge in comparison and contrast to other languages and learning traditions. Furthermore, they will be able to analyse and reflect their own learning traditions.
- They will have developed a high level of cultural competence and will be able to analyse cultural patterns of interpretation.
- They will also have developed strong qualifications to work independently in the academic-scientific research sector, as they will have internalised the different scientific methods and practical application.
- Graduates will be able to apply their knowledge and deepen it during their own professional postgraduate experience and further education programs.
Employment and Career Prospects:
Graduates of the M.A. program German as a Foreign Language are qualified to work as German language teachers in several institutions in the MENA region, such as (German) universities, in particular at the GJU, schools resp. German schools abroad, Goethe Institutes or private language schools. Furthermore, they can work in German embassies, non- governmental organizations as e.g. foundations and companies; the can be employed as cultural mediators; in the field of cultural policy, or in the field of media and publishing. Another option for graduates is to pursue postgraduate research in DaF or related subjects and obtaining a PhD.
BA Degree or equivalent in German, German as a Foreign Language or related subjects. Graduation not longer than 6 years ago. German language level TestDaF 3 or B2.