What do my scores in the English placement test mean?
The test is tailored to place each student in one of the following levels according to his/ her score as shown in the table below:
|81 and up
If I score above 81 in the English placement test and register for Engl1001, will I have finished all the English language courses?
No, you will still need to register for Engl1002 after passing Engl1001.
Will I receive a certificate equivalent to the TOEFL or IELTS when I finish Engl1002?
You will receive an English Proficiency certificate based on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), which is an international standard for describing language ability. The certificate is valid for two years only.
Is it possible to consider the result of placement tests taken at other universities?
No, you would have to sit for the German Jordanian University’s placement tests.
Is it possible to register for a General Physics lab course after passing General Physics 2 even though it is a concurrent requirement for it?
Yes, it is possible to delay registration and register for General Physics Lab after passing General Physics 2.
What are the placement tests and how many are they?
The School of Basic Sciences and Humanities offers three compulsory placement tests: (Arabic Language, Mathematics, and English Language). They determine the student's abilities and competency. New students are expected to take the tests before registering for their courses for the first semester of their freshman year since they will not be able to register for the first semester unless he/she has taken the exams. Passing the exam will exempt the student from pre-courses with zero credit hours as well as it will open the way for choosing more subjects upon registration, requesting you to take the matter seriously.
What are the topics of the placement test questions?
If your major is engineering or computer science, then you must do all three exams (Note that you only need to do one math placement test based on your language preference) do not do both.
For all other students (including students majoring in Design and Visual Communication at The School of Architecture and Built Environment) you only need to do Arabic and English Language placement tests (Math placement test is not required).
- Arabic: You will have 50 minutes to answer 50 questions. The Arabic placement test is a pass/fail exam.
- English: You will have 50 minutes to answer 60 questions. Kindly note that the English Placement Test is not a pass or fail exam. It is tailored to place each student in one of the following levels according to his/ her score as shown in the table below:
|81 and up
- Math: You will have 50 minutes to answer 19 questions, The Math placement test is a pass/fail exam.
- The math test covers general math topics, integration and differentiation will not be included in the exam.
- Please make sure to bring a pencil or pen, we will provide you with scratch paper.
- You have a choice to take the exam in Arabic or English. Choose only one; you cannot change after you have started.
- Students will not be allowed to use a calculator or any other electronic device to help with calculations.
When can one take the placement tests?
Placement tests are held before the start of both the first semester and the second semester, and the dates of examination sessions are announced on the university's website, social media and sent via GJU email and SMS.
What happens if I score above 50 in the Arabic placement test?
If you pass the Arabic language exam, you will be exempted from studying the remedial Arabic language course (ARABIC 99) and directly registering for the Arabic language course (ARABIC 100).
What happens if I score above 50 in the mathematics placement test?
If you pass the math exam, you will be exempted from studying the pre-math course and directly registering in Calculus 1.