The council is chaired by the president and consists of the Vice-Presidents and the Deans of schools and Deanships.
The Deans Council adheres to GJU regulations and instructions, council members are expected to understand their responsibilities and tasks through the higher education and Jordanian Universities Bylaws. The Deans Council assumes the following tasks and powers:
- Recommending the board of trustees to establish schools, institutes, departments, and scientific faculties;
- Recommending the board of trustees to establish programs, and academic majors and integrate them with others or stop enrollment in them or cancel them;
- Appointing academic staff at the university and promoting them, granting them tenure, transferring them, granting them sabbaticals, granting them leaves (including scientific dedication leaves and unpaid leaves), accepting their resignation and end of service, and transferring them from one faculty to another in the university;
- Evaluating the members of the teaching staff regarding their academic activities, teaching methods and scientific researches, and making the appropriate decisions concerning these criteria;
- Delegating the members of the teaching staff, full-time lecturers, research or teaching assistants, technicians working in the academic field in the university or persons who worked with the university in scientific delegations and missions and training courses pursuant to the Delegation Act effective in the university;
- Examining, discussing and issuing decisions concerning the draft study plans submitted by the councils of faculties, institutes and centers;
- Establishing internal control standards to monitor the quality and level of programs and university graduates at the university and then send them to the board of trustees for approval;
- Evaluating the academic and administrative performance and scientific achievement at the university according to specific standards and criteria by using certified forms and data for development. Thereafter, the findings are reported to the board of trustees through periodic reports;
- Making recommendations to the board of the trustees about the standards used in accepting new students annually in the majors according to the general and private capacities approved by the accreditation commission of higher education institutes to ensure their quality and therefore abide by them;
- Granting scientific and honorary degrees and certificates;
- Establishing professorship ranks. 11- Suggesting to board of trustees the amount of fees charged by the university;
- Examining any matter related to the academic work presented by the president. This is not within the jurisdiction of any other body according to the legislations in force;
- Establishing the necessary instructions to execute the regulatory provisions related to academic work at the university.